Wednesday, January 18, 2006

back to normal

which means hectic. If I didn't really love my kids and Holly and my life, don't think I could manage it.

We had family portraits taken over the weekend. It's hard when it involves eleven people, three of whom are two or younger. But we did it! and the pictures are good. Holly and I had to remind ourselves that you rarely see outstanding portraits of two years old - the best pictures are usually older or younger. The best whole family portrait had B sucking his fingers, looking off to the left and S glaring at the camera. BG's son, who is two, didn't smile but at least didn't look mean. We got some great shots of the girls in pairs. The best moment - we were trying to get S to sit in a chair and smile, and B ran up to her and tickled her yelling "ticka ticka ticka", we all laughed, including the twins, but the photographer wasn't ready.

E wants us to adopt her. she was not available for adoption while she was in foster care because her mother never gave up her parental rights. We'd offered to adopt her after she turned 18, and she was interested, but when she hit the magic age, she was off to small town hell and her family to live hell life. She eventually came back, of course, even tried bringing her mother to get started here. After a couple of months of trying, her mother told her point blank that she was not capable of being the kind of mother E wanted and went back to STH. Broke E's heart, but now she wants to be adopted. We're talking to the adoption lawyer on Monday and we'll bring it up. As torn as E is, since this would mean a slap in the face to her birth family, she is determined enough to change her name.

I really want to do it. I want her to be legally ours. She is such a wonderful kid.

3 Comments:

At 7:31 PM, Blogger Gawdessness said...

The picture taking sessions sounds like quite the feat!

Thanks for your thoughtful comment on my blog too!

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger achromic said...

It is E. that I have felt the largest of my heart strings pulled. When I ran into Holly's blog she was telling of some drama that had E. involed (er big surprise) and I guess at the time my own heart was ready to care about someone who was so willing to face the world with reckless abandonment that only the young can muster. I think that her chooseing to move back near you guys and ask for adoption is HUGE, even if the lawyers say it cannot work out now. Choosing ...... a good path and good people is so hard when your upbring is not about that..... so many kids I saw fail...... it fills me with just a small touch of joy and hope to see her making good choices. Reaching for better then you were raised with... it is a wonderful start.

 
At 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is amazing about E. How wonderful. It must be hard for her to make such a decision. It is great that she is so affirming her relationship with you now that she is an adult and can make a real choice. I hope it all goes through smoothly. And the pics are great, I forgot to thank Holly for sending them. Esp, as you say, the ones of the girls two by two. Studio shots are so artificial but they turned out beautifully. I personally like the different expressions on the little kids' faces... it cuts through to personality instead of external look, and makes one wonder about the whole story behind the photo experience, which I like. Thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home