Friday, May 27, 2005

politics

I never used to call myself a democrat. I wanted to keep it clear that I would vote for the candidate or issue that was the best, not along any party lines. I guess I still would, but now I can rest assured that the republican candidate or issue is way too extreme for me.

Why can't politicians do what is right?

I read a book, can't remember the name, but I think it was written by Arthur C. Clark where the president of the US was chosen at random by a computer from a list of qualified people. The very act of campaigning or acting like you wanted that much power was enough to disqualify you, because that would mean you were a crazy egomaniac. The person chosen couldn't refuse the position, and only served one term. That just makes so much sense!! Is that why we can't do it? I'll try to find the name of the book.

I've tried to talk my partner, Holly into running for office - the school board or something. She's got a simple name and she's very smart, well spoken, and she doesn't put up with much BS. She was a teacher for 8 years and a social worker for 8 years. She won't do it, insisting that people won't vote for a lesbian and she doesn't want people digging around for the skeletons she might have. That is one of the other horrid issues in politics - you better hide your past, which is a heck of a lot easier if you have tons of money, which we don't. Anyhow, she'd make an excellent member of the school board. She would help get rid of all the stuff that doesn't work, maybe try to make jobs in education reasonable. She's already proven to be an excellent teacher and an excellent parent. That should override any skeletons. If you want to see how well she writes, click on the myHolly link to the right.

peace.

1 Comments:

At 9:07 PM, Blogger Gawdessness said...

I agree your lovely Holly writes exceptionally well!
What an interesting post. Fear, Loathing and Politics.
Could be the title of a book?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home