Tuesday, May 03, 2005

my bday

My birthday is on May 10th. One week away. This will be one of those big deal birthdays - 40 - and Holly thought I should do something big. We skipped the annual birthday party this year in favor of giving the twins one. So, Holly and I are going to swim with the whales at Sea World. This is going to be Holly's birthday present, too, even though hers is in August and she will only be 38. It is also going to be our Mother's Day present to each other. I don't think I've ever been this excited about a present before. Well, when Holly gave me my ring three Christmas' ago... but that was different.

So, in eleven days, Holly and I get to spend time in a tank of freezing sea water with a Beluga Whale. We might get to touch him/her, scratch his/her tongue or even feed them. That would all be icing on the cake. I am thrilled just to be that close to one.

I know that I should probably be against any animals in captivity. I have a friend who won't visit zoos or SeaWorld because of that. I'm not, though. I think that SeaWorld and the good zoos teach people to love and have a concern for animals. It's harder to condone destroying the habitat of an animal that you've been 10 feet from and seen in a reasonable facsimile of their natural habitat in a zoo.

I'm so excited!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home