Monday, May 02, 2005

big day

Saturday was my twins' first birthday. We had a party. We'd intended for it to be small, they are only one, after all. But, as these things will, it got bigger and bigger. Dozens of family and friends showed up, with their kids of all ages. It was chaotic, but everyone had fun. More fun than the twins, who fell asleep as folks started to arrive and woke to a houseful of people. They did not understand it. They played the game, of course, showing all how well they could walk and their few teeth, playing with the wrapping paper and putting everything into their mouths.

My sister-in-law told me that first birthday parties were really an affirmation for the parents from their friends and family that they are parenting well and doing a good thing. The babies don't understand the party and don't need more toys. Now, after the party, I am sure she is right. I feel affirmed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home