Friday, May 27, 2005

band

My fourteen year old is going to summer band prep today. It is very scary for us. Band was my saviour in high school. I was socially retarded and in band you could be geeky and still have friends. S gets so defensive and such a victim she makes me at her age look like the prom queen. She works so hard at it, and it's getting better, but is she ready for this kind of bombardment?

Holly got her a transfer to a better school than our feeder, so there won't be many, if any, kids from her middle school. This might be her best chance for a clean start for the next four years. The other really sucky thing is that she lacks almost all of the skills to succeed in marching band, being a rather less than mediocre musician and not very coordinated. I just hope they can find a place for her. She may not make the marching band - they are so competitive in this area. But, maybe she could be one of the kids that stands on the sidelines and carries the podium or something. I did that my freshman year, being a very weak horn player at the time, and I still felt like I was part of the big group. I still made friends.

Holly and I stressed to her that this was a fresh start and she needed to not complain or be difficult. Well, I guess we'll see when she gets thru at noon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home